Second period fight results in four ejections. Rich Schwab for Council Rock, Mike Sivel, Damian Borchevsky, and Ross Morgan for Germantown.

March 25, 1991

Penalties and ejections marred the Suburban High School Hockey League championship series between Germantown Academy and Council Rock, which won the title. In two games. “The series should have really been two or three games of excel lent hockey between two excellent hockey teams,” said Germantown Academy coach John loia. “But that really didn’t happen, at least not in the second game.” Council Rock blasted the Patriots, 9-3, in the second game on Wednesday night a game that was marred by 38 penalties that resulted in five ejections. “I’ve lost games before, but I was embarrassed by what happened in the second game,” said loa. “It isn’t something I want to remember.” The Patriots trailed the Indians, 3-2 in the second period when a skirmish between the teams resulted in three GA ejections and one Council Rock ejection. Lost to the Patriots were standout players Damian Borchevsky, Ross Morgan and Mike Sivel Lost to Council Rock was Rich Schwab “I have a tape of the game, and up until then it was a decent game,” said Ioia.

The fight
“But when we lost those three players, I knew we were in big trouble. We only go eight deep, really, and to lose them was losing a lot” Council Rock scored six of the last seven goals of the game to coast to the win. The final stat sheet showed the Indians’ Chad Markowitz with the hat trick, and single goals by Brian Green, Matt Hunter. Mike Kelly, Justin Kurzac, Eric Kratchwell and Mike Giradi. Brian Vickers, Mike Malone and Ray McKenzie scored the goals for the Patriots. With 19 seconds left in the game, McKenzie, Germantown’s superlative player, apparently became rat tled by Council Rock fans and fired a puck into the stands. He was ejected and officials halted play shortly thereafter. “The kid was frustrated, but that’s no excuse.” said loia. “It’s over, he was wrong. but there is nothing that can be done about it now.” The opening game on Tuesday night was won in the last second. The score was deadlocked 2-2 when Council Rock’s Roman Bussetti sent a desperation shot toward the goal as the clock ticked toward zero. The puck hit the post, was loose in front of the net, and ended up in the net as the score board clock showed 0:00. “The question wasn’t really whether or not the puck went in the net, but did it go in before the horn sounded to end the game.” said loia. “After a lot of discussion, the referee decided it beat the horn and the game was over.” As a result of winning the SHSHI championship, Council Rock will meet Father Judge in a Tier I Flyers Cup game to be played Tuesday night, 7:45, at the Face-Off Circle Judge buried Pennsbury in its Lower Bucks championship series, winning games by scores of 8-1 and 7-1. By virtue of finishing as runner-up in the SHSHL, Germantown Academy will meet Pennsbury in a Tier II Flyers Cup game to be played at 8 pm. Wednesday at the Grundy Rink in Bristol. “We’ve had too good a season to let it end like this,” said loia. “We have to get our heads back up. We’ll have to play without McKenzie, Sivel and Borchevsky because of the ejections. It will be an uphill battle, but hopefully we’ll be ready to play.” William Tennent lost a chance to advance to the Tier III Flyers Cup tournament when the Panthers. dropped a gut-wrenching 1-0 contest to Eastern Regional in triple overtime Thursday night in a game played at the Face-Off Circle. “I keep seeing their goaltender in my sleep” said William Tennent coach Joe Paul, speaking of Eastern Regional goalie PJ. Diana. “He had a career night for that kid, he just stopped everything “We had at least six breakaways, and we took some great shots at him. There were a couple of times that we let shots go and the kids began to celebrate because we knew the shot was going in. But we never got one past him.” Diana stopped all 35 William Tennent shots on the night, and Panthers goaltender Brian Gagliana also had a superlative night as he came up with 24 saves. “Brian had his best game of the season,” said Paul. “He shut them out for the first 59 minutes.” The winning goal came off the stick of Earl Texter with one minute left in the third overtime. Texter’s shot came from the point, behind a screen, and off at least one pair of skates. “Overtime goals always seem to be like that,” said Paul. “We dominated the action for most of the game, but Regional hustled and got the one that counted. “I’m very satisfied with the way the season went. We finished the regular season 10-4-1 and I thought 8 and 7 would be a great year. And we made it to the semifinal, and i really couldn’t see us doing that at the beginning of the season. “It’s been a long, frustrating season. The last six years I’ve had real quality teams, and this was pretty much a rebuilding year. The kids were great, though, and most of them will be back next season.”

CREDIT: The Philadelphia Inquirer

By Scott Huff – Special to the Inquirer